Lecturer and Research Coordinator in the Department of Community and Disability Studies
I hold a Ph.D from University of Leeds, UK; Masters of Arts in Human Rights, Makerere University, Uganda; Postgraduate Diploma in Project Planning and Management, Uganda Management Institute (UMI) and Bachelor of Statistics (Hons), Makerere University.
I joined academia late in my career in 2011 as Part-time Lecturer in the Department of Community and Disability Studiesand in December 2015, I was confirmed as fulltime Lecturer in the same department. Fifteen (15) years prior to joining academia, I was with disability rights organizations in Uganda, working in inclusive development. This experience has earned me both practical and theoretical understanding of development work, human rights, social justice, disability inclusion, special needs education and research. Currently, I teach human rights and disability, social justice, conflict management, empowerment and participation of people with disabilities and social, cultural and developmental perspectives on disability.
My research interest is on the how the human rights law frameworks as well as pragmatic approaches have brought policy changes for people with disability and the effect of those policies on the lives of people with disabilities with a range of impairments.
Outside academia, I undertake consultancy works in inclusive development; among others on disability and inclusion, poverty reduction, research, policy analysis, organizational development, evaluations and inclusive education.
‘Implementation, Impact and Further Development of the Ugandan Disability Law In Higher Education,’ at three different conferences:
- An Annual Interdisciplinary Research Conference organised by the Faculty of Education, Social Sciences and Law (ESSL), University of Leeds, January 2010.
- Global PhD and Researchers colloquium on Disability Law and Policy Organised by Irish Centre of Human Rights, National University of Ireland Galway, at Carlton Hotel Galway, April 2010.
- Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA) Annual Conference, held at University West of England, July 2010.
- Disability Inclusion in Higher Education in Uganda: Status, Challenges and Strategies, at two conferences:
- Directors Forum organised by the National Union of Disabled Persons of Uganda (NUDIPU), at NUDIPU Board Room, March 2015
- Disability Inclusion and Higher Education, organised by Action for Youth with Disabilities Uganda (AYDU), at Hotel Africana, February 2015
P. Emong and L. Eron, 'Disability Inclusion in Higher Education in Uganda: Status and Strategies.' African Journal of Disability, 2016 - ajod.org
P. Emong and L. Eron, 'Tackling Education of Girl Child with Disability in Urban Settings of Uganda,' Second International Handbook of Urban Education, Springer 2017
Forthcoming- Book Chapter
- Jo Westbrook, Jacqui Shepherd Paul Emong,‘Disabled Children: Still on the Margins of Education in Uganda?’