COMMUNITY ACTION FOR RESEARCH ON DISABILITY IN UGANDA (CARD) PROJECT
External funder: Katutandike Trust Fund
Commencement date: 1st October 2005
Termination date 30th Sept 2010
Project coordinator at KYU: Faculty of special Needs
To set up an Action Based research project sponsorship fund.
Develop research and administrative capacity to arrange the initiative from the Vice Chancellorâ€™s office at Kyambogo University.
To incorporate the new Knowledge generated from this study into the on-going local CBR and Special Education courses.
Ensure wide dissemination of research findings and the replication of good practice.
Activities carried out
1. Recruitment of the Project Administrator.
2. Writing of Research proposals by researchers. (Periodic)
3. Mentoring sessions by International experts. (Periodic)
4. Selection of best teams for research activities.
5. Research training workshops.
6. Data collection for research projects being implemented.
7. Follow-up in the research areas by the administrator.
8. Report writing.
9. Production of Card newsletter.
1. CARD office is opened at the Faculty of Special Needs and Rehabilitation.
2. CARD has 13 teams/projects doing research on different topics in different districts like Mbarara, Kampala, Mukono, Luwero, Masindi, Mbale, Arua. Tororo, Masaka etc.
3. 10 mentoring sessions have been held.
4. 6 workshops on different research areas have been conducted.
5. Production of two CARD Newsletters.
6. Accountability of the used funds.
1. Researchers have limited time to do the research work as they are full time workers at the University or other organizations.
2. The Administrator is the only person in the office. Whenever there is follow-up of activities the office remains closed.
1. More research teams are to be recruited next year January.
2. The first dissemination of research results are to be held in January.
3. Radio talk shows for research teams who shall have completed research in December/January 2008.
4. Mentoring of teams continues.
5. Training workshops to continue.
6. Follow-up of research teams in the field to be done.
7. CARD Newsletter to be produced.
8. Preparation of reports/accountabilities to be done timely.