FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
You are welcome to the Faculty of Engineering (FoEng), Kyambogo University (KyU) webpage. Thank you for the interest and time you have spared to visit us.
The FoEng was formed in 2001 from the former Schools of Civil and Building, Mechanical and Production, Electrical and Electronic Engineering of former Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK) and the former Department of Technological Studies of former Institute of Teacher Education Kyambogo (ITEK) when the Government of the Republic of Uganda kick-started Kyambogo University by merging UPK, ITEK and former Uganda National Institute of Special Education (UNISE). The new change was qualitative as the faculty began to train students at degree level in addition to training at Technician level.
The FoEng has a long and rich history as shown below:
- 1921 - Started as Kampala Technical College (KTC). Vocational subjects were added to the Technical subjects in 1922.
- 1928 - KTC transformed into Kampala Technical School (KTS) on the slopes of Makerere hill.
- 1942 - The Engineering School was formed at the current Makerere University play ground. It was later transferred to Nakawa.
- 1954 - The Engineering School was transferred to Kyambogo as Kampala Technical Institute (KTI).
- 1964 - KTI was upgraded to the Uganda Technical College (UTC) Kyambogo.
- 1984 - UTC became part of the Faculty of Technology, Makerere University.
- 1986 - It was retracted from Faculty of Technology, Makerere University and upgraded to UPK.
- 2001 - FoEng was formed as already mentioned above.
The Mission of the Faculty is ├óÔé¼┼ôTo Impart, promote and advance Science and Technology for development, and transformation of Society.
The Vision of the Faculty is ├óÔé¼┼ôTo be a Centre of Academic and Professional Excellence in Engineering.
The Motto of the Faculty is ├óÔé¼┼ôKnowledge and Practical Skills for Service┬Ø.
The FoEng is comprised of four (4) Departments, namely:
- Department of Civil and Building Engineering (DCBE).
- Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering (DMPE).
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (DEEE).
- Department of Lands and Architectural Studies (DLAS).
The FoEng office is located in the former UPK Administration Block, next to the Board Room on ground floor.