Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH)
Zurich, Centre for Development and
Cooperation (NADEL), the Swiss
Aquatic Research Institute and the Swiss
Department of Water and Sanitation in Developing
Countries EAWAG/SANDEC - Switzerland /Makerere University
PhD Research: Learning from Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) for Improved Latrine Cleaning in Kampala Slums
|M.A Research: From Safety-net spring board: urban Agriculture as a sustainable livelihood mechanism the case of poultry farming in Kawempe Division Kampala City.|
|B.A Social Sciences|
POST GRADUATE COURSES TAKEN
- Certificate in Advanced Gender Research discourse; feminist theories and methodology in research by The University of Lund ÔÇôSweden and Makerere University (2013).
- Certificate in Research Methods by University of Lund ÔÇôSweden and Makerere University (2013).
- Certificate in ICT applications in Education Awarded by Kyambogo University and International Institute of Communication and Development ÔÇôIICD (2002)
- Certificate in Participatory Oriented Action Research (POAR) for Poverty Alleviation; awarded by Network of Ugandan Researchers and Research Users ÔÇôNURRU (2002)
- Post Graduate Certificate in the Philosophy of Research Methods and enquiry By Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and Makerere University (2013).
- Certificate in Influential Evaluations by Uganda Government Evaluation Facility UGEF/GIZ/ECD/EPP (2014)
- Advanced Course in Impact Evaluation under the Uganda Government Evaluation Facility by GIZ/ECD/EPP (2014)
- Certified Evaluator and Trainer Monitoring and Evaluation under the Evaluation Capacity Development (ECD). Project by GIZ and ITAD (2013).
- Certificate in INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME FOR DEVELOPMENT EVALUATION TRAINING-IPDET awarded by; The World Bank, Makerere Institute of Social Research-(MISR), National Planning Authority-(NPA) and Makerere University Economic Policy Research Centre (EPRC) (2004)
- The SPLASH -European Research Area NetworkÔÇôERA-Net (a Consortium of development partners funded by; Australian Development Cooperation ÔÇôADC, Department for International Development ÔÇôDFID, Ministrere des Affaires Etangeres et Europeenes ÔÇôMAEE, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency ÔÇôSIDA, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation ÔÇôSDC, Bill & Melinda Gates foundation) PhD Funding for the sociological analysis of social networks, social pressure, norms and power in improving sanitation in the slums of Kampala city (www.splash-era.net)
- Won a best practices award; ÔÇÿPutting research into practice: implementing innovative economic and social interventions to improve sanitation access in urban slums of Kampala, UgandaÔÇÖ by the Kiel Institute and the Poverty Reduction, Equity and Growth Network -PegNet in Copenhagen 2013 under the Urban Affordable Clean Toilets (U-ACT) project in Kampala city implemented by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ZurichÔÇôETH-Z and the Centre for Development and Cooperation -NADEL(www.nadel.ethz.ch/forschung)
- Association of African Universities (AAU) Research on Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and adaptation in University Teaching; Research Grant 2011
KNOWLEDGE SHARING, SKILLS TRANSFER AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Over the past 12 years, my University training and teaching has seen me teach:
- Urban sociology
- Project planning and Management, monitoring and Evaluation
- Sociological theory, Gender and development ÔÇôGAD (formerly women in development-WID)
- Programme Development and Management, Methods of sociological research
- Sociology of health care and medical systems
- Social anthropology, Sociology and social problems as well as people to people learning
- Organizational Development (OD), Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA) and Functional Capacity (FC)
Kwiringira Japheth, Robinah Kulabako, (2016); The conundrum of Slum sanitation in Kampala Uganda; Adding a sociological Dimension. Upcoming in Bio-medical Journal of Public Health ÔÇôupcoming
Kwiringira Japheth., Atekyereza Peter, Niwagaba Charles, Charles Rwabukwali, Robert Kabumbuli, Robinah Kulabako, Isabel (2016); Seasonality and shared latrine cleaning in the slums of Kampala city
Kwiringira Japheth., Firminus Mugumya, Ann Turinayo, Doreen Nsasiirwe, Joseph Rujumba (2016); Community Capacity to detect, prevent and respond to Gender based violence, experiences from four refugee camps in Uganda. BMC Conflict and Health Manuscript ID: 184608319316127 upcoming.
Kwiringira Japheth., Atekyereza Peter, Niwagaba Charles, Isabel Guenther (2014); Descending the Sanitation Ladder in Urban Uganda: Evidence from Kampala Slums. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/624
Kwiringira Japheth., Atekyereza Peter, Niwagaba Charles, Isabel (2014); Gender Variations in Access, Choice to Use and Cleaning of Shared Latrines; Experiences from Kampala Slums, Uganda. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/1180
Rujumba J. And Kwiringira J. (2010): The Interface of Insecurity, Culture and HIV/AIDS; experiences from communities in Northern Uganda. http://www.conflictandhealth.com/content/4/1/18
Kwiringira J. (2007); ÔÇÿThe Relevance of Information Communication Technology (ICT) to Local GovernmentsÔÇÖ in Decentralisation and Transformation of governance in Uganda Makerere Institute of Social Research (MISR) Book Project funded by I@Mak Project funded by The World Bank and The Rockefeller Foundation
Kwiringira J. and Kirumira E. (2003); The Social Geography of the Spread and Impact of HIV/AIDS in Uganda; Council for Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), ISSN 0850-8712 sur les presses de lÔÇÖImpremerie Saint-Paul. Dakar Senegal
Kwiringira J. Mutebi E., Namara R., Basheka B., Bigabwenkya S., (2011); Enhancing WomenÔÇÖ Agricultural Productivity in post conflict Northern Uganda; Policy Brief by UMI MDG Project
Bigabwenkya S., Namara R., Basheka B., Kwiringira J., Mutebi E., (2011); Making Urban agriculture extension work; Policy Brief by UMI MDG Project
Bigabwenkya S., Mutebi E., Kwiringira J., Namara R., Basheka B., (2011); Urban Agriculture Water Options Policy Brief by UMI MDG Project
Bigabwenkya S., Namara R., Basheka B Kwiringira J., Mutebi E., (2011); Agriculture financing Mechanisms for Urban Farmers; Policy Brief by UMI MDG Project
Kwiringira J., Mutebi E., Namara R., Basheka B., Bigabwenkya S., (2011); Putting the agro-market right in Northern Uganda- the role of producer cooperatives; Policy Brief by UMI MDG Project
Mutebi E.,Kwiringira J., Namara R., Basheka B., Bigabwenkya S., (2011); Nutitionalise Agro-Zoning Policy in Uganda; Policy Brief by UMI MDG Project
UNPUBLISHED WORKING PAPERS
Kwiringira J. From Safety-net spring board: urban Agriculture as a sustainable livelihood mechanism the case of poultry farming in Kawempe Division Kampala City. M.A Dissertation Makerere University.
Kwiringira J. Modernisation as Development; Theories and Myths. Un published working paper. Kyambogo University.
Membership of professional associations and bodies
- Uganda Evaluation Association (UEA)
- Water Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC), London, United Kingdom
- Network of Ugandan Researchers and Research Users (NURRU)
- Research on Urban Agriculture and Forestry (RUAF) Urban Agriculture Magazine; The Netherlands
- CODESRIA based in Dakar Senegal
- The water network -AQUASPE AG, Zurich Switzerland
- The water information network ÔÇôSouth Africa
- Municipal Development Programme ÔÇôHarare Zimbabwe
- The urban equity gauge hosted by the African Population Research Council ÔÇôNairobi, Kenya