Programs offered in the department include:
- Bachelor of Science with Education (in collaboration with other Departments)
- Bachelor of Education (in collaboration with Faculty of Education) both full time and distance (Open, Distance and e-Learning program, ODeL)
- Bachelor of Science Technology-Chemistry
- Bachelor of Environmental Science Technology and Management
- Bachelor of Science in Textile and Clothing Technology
- Ordinary Diploma in Science Technology-Chemistry
- Diploma in Textile Design and Technology
- Certificate in Science Laboratory Technology
Applicants admitted to the departments should have passed (principle pass) chemistry as one of the subjects at A-level or should hold a diploma in a related field.
Graduates from the Department
Graduates from the department are employed in a wide range of industries as listed below:
1. Chemical and processing industries
2. Pharmaceutical Industries
3. Food production and processing industries, Hotels and Restaurants.
4. Standardization and quality assurance institutes and laboratories.
5. Textile industries
6. Environmental engineering and management organizations.
7. Secondary schools (as teachers and technicians).
8. Postgraduates and Research students at masters and PhD. levels in chemistry-related fields.
A number of research projects are on-going within our department in collaboration with other organizations and institutions:
1. Extraction and analysis of antimicrobial natural products from medicinal plant species led by Dr. Nyende
2. Millennium Science Initiative (MSI window B), with a focus on ├óÔé¼╦£Up-grading the Training of Mathematics and Science Teachers by Incorporating ICT through Open, Distance and e-Learning (ODeL) in Uganda (Mr Charles R. Okumu is a Senior Researcher in the project)
3. Characterization of dyes from plants led by Mr Aaron Wanyama (Ph.D Student)
4. Extraction and characterization of essential oils from aromatic plant species headed by Mr. Ivan Gumula (Ph.D student)
5. Analysis of mineral ores from across Uganda led by Mr. A. Mugenyi (Ph.D Student)
6. Evaluation of waste management systems and characterization of waste products in Uganda led by Mr. Julius. Ojok (Ph.D Student)
7. Analysis of the impact of polyethenes on the environment in western Uganda led by Mr Twalibu Nzanzu (Masters Student)
8. Extraction and analysis of insecticides from plants led by Mr Charles. R. Okumu